December CSA Newsletter
Somehow, the months have marched on and we have arrived in December like meeting an old friend. This year has been…. a different kind of hard. They say, “choose your hard” and while I am not sure I would choose it, the outcome of doing hard things, wrestling with questions and waiting for the right answer, is worth it. I recently turned 40 and all summer John and I have been asking, how does our future look as we shift and change our roles? Eathon and Cole are actively ‘taking charge’ and that is no easy feat with us as their parents. We are your typical Type A with a list for every season and are working on letting go, asking questions that they have to answer and work their leadership muscles. It has been a year of new and different learning curves!
Camille and Francesca along with the rest of the beef herd have been getting bonus grazing time. The last heavy frost put an end to a spectacular grazing season. Putting hay out for the various groups has begun, including the sheep flock, who seem to enjoy spreading their bales out and laying on it, as much as eating them. John & Cole discovered the issue with our telehandler ( after 18 months of troubleshooting) and its BACK! This will make unloading the hundreds and hundreds of hay bales and feeding out such a breeze compared to last year. SO THANKFUL!
We spent a very warm November ( 70F+) felling Poppa’s tree, before the winter winds takes it down on his house. Nathaniel Smith from Rustling Grass Farm narrated this cute video (TreeTimber) It was a big tree and we are all thankful to have it on the ground. Poppa’s Tree Down
Just as a reminder, each month your invoice will be sent out on the 21st and your newsletter will be emailed a week or so after filled with news from the ranch, share options and any other odds and ends. If the first shipping date doesn’t work for you, just let us know and we can save it for the back up shipping week. Here is the upcoming schedule!
- December Shares Shipping; November 29th ( week of after Thanksgiving) – back-up is Dec. 12th ( last shipment of 2022!)
- January Shares Shipping; January 3rd with back-up of January 17th.
- Chuck ( bone-in or boneless,) Brisket, or Sirloin Roast
- Ground Beef
- Ground Pork or Sausages ( Breakfast, Sweet Italian, Hot Italian, Chorizo or Kielbasa)
- Berkshire Pork Chops, Bone-in or Boneless
- Berkshire Pork Shoulder Steak or Pork Stew/Kabob
- Chicken Backs, Necks, or Drumsticks ( you can skip these if you prefer)
- Pork Ribs, ( Spareribs, Baby Back or Countrystyle ) – I like sweet & spicy, how about you? Try this one!