January CSA Newsletter
Winter solstice, officially the shortest daylight hours for our Northern Hemisphere. The husband shared weather from various parts of the world this morning, as is his habits from time to time. Perth, Australia’s temps are over 90F and that thought made me so glad we are in the midst of winter wonderland. Our winter vacation is just 3 days away and we are so excited to hibernate! Long spring and summer days of waking before sunrise and watching the dew dry from our boots have been replaced with still waking early, but catnapping. My very favorite, the opportunity to lie back down and snooze. The power went out for several hours during our last snowstorm and watching snow fall languidly and chatting with family was a particular treat. Slow meals, savoring our food and fellowship are enjoyed more now.
Next week we begin the plans for the following year. Chick orders to be finalized, need to inventory the hay for both the beef herd and sheep flock, prep for lambing ( soon!), plus discussions of what everyone thinks is a reasonable amount of work to be accomplished, budgets sketched and stretched, and stewarding WELL what we have. I love it all. Oh, and plenty of coffee.
Each month your invoice will be sent out on the 21st and this newsletter will be posted on our blog. I will also email you the link so you don’t miss news from the ranch, share options and any other odds and ends. If the first shipping date doesn’t work for you, just let us know and we can save it for the back up shipping week. Here is the upcoming schedule!
- January Shares Shipping; January 3rd with back-up of January 17th.
- February Shares Shipping; January 31st with back up of February 14th
- Bone-in or Boneless Berkshire Pork Shoulder Roast
- Ground Beef or Patties (1/4# or 1/3#)
- Ground Pork or Sausages ( Breakfast, Sweet Italian, Hot Italian, Chorizo or Kielbasa)
- Chicken Leg/Thigh Packs OR Skin-On Breast
- Beef Stew, Kabob, or Sandwich Steak
- Dry-Aged Ribeye, Rib, NY Strip, or T-bone Steak